In your capacity, individual desires and preferences take a back seat to the needs of the business in total and those around you: Employees, Customers, Community, Board.
Doing so every moment of every day, you could lose touch with what excites you about your role. The terrain when climbing the ranks to the top spot was very different than the one you’re standing on now. Accumulated experiences and new circumstances have changed what gets you juiced.
Deliberately reconnecting with what sparks your energy could change you and your organization. To get started, ask yourself:
- What is it about my role today that fascinates me?
- Why do I love this industry? This company?
- What goals or ideas excite me?
- Which personal values do I get to practice every day?
- Am I invigorated by complexity? Unraveling and solving difficult problems? Watching others flourish under my guidance? Working shoulder to shoulder with other A-players?
- What should I change to make this an incredible place to work?
CEO life can intrude on your awareness of what inspires your unique contributions to the organization and its people. Getting back in touch will help you shape your role to fit your new and evolving passions.